In past posts about akregator (the RSS reader for KDE), I have noted that it loses count of the unread articles, and gets maybe one or two off.
Since installing opensuse 13.1, I had a run of several weeks with the count being correct. But then, around 1 week ago, I began to have problems with counting once again. The way this happened gave me a little insight.
I noticed a couple of new articles that were 9 months old (from February 2013). That surprised me. So I checked the akregator settings. It turned out that I had archive settings configured to keep all articles.
However, I am not seeing that problem. Right now, I can see the tray icon for liferea 1.8.14, while I am running KDE 4.10.5 (under opensuse 12.3). On another computer, I can see the tray icon for liferea 1.10.2 under KDE 4.11.2 (using opensuse 13.1 RC1).
I have mentioned akregator, konqueror and rekonq in earlier posts. This will be a brief update.
Two things that I criticized about akregator, were that it crashed too often and that it lost count of the number of unread items.
On the count issue, things are better. While it still loses count from time to time, it is happening less often with version 4.10.5 (part of KDE 4.10.5). Previously it was likely to lose count an average of at least once per day. Right now, I notice that I have been running akregator continuously for 3 days with no loss of count and no crashing.
For the present, I have turned on geotagging for this blog. I’m not sure whether that is a bad idea; opinions welcome.
The geotagging is supposed to add location (latitude, longitude) to post headers. I have not been attempting to hide where I reside, so I was not too concerned about the privacy issue. On the other hand, I am not sure that it makes much sense, since what I post is not location-sensitive.
A few notes based on my experience using akregator and liferea.
A feed that doesn’t work
Here’s a feed that I attempted to add to akregator:
It is the comment feed for The Skeptical Zone. When I added it, akregator fetched several recent messages. However, it seems to never refresh, never fetch any additional messages. I am not sure why; perhaps it is mishandling the ‘?’ character. I have reported this to the KDE bug report site.
In my last post, I described how I use akregator to follow blogs. One of things that I have noticed is that some blogs provide a full copy of new posts in their RSS feed, while some provide only a summary. Here, I want to discuss how that affects me.
I’ll note that WordPress has a setting for this blog (under “Reading Settings”) where I can specify whether I want to provide the full text of a post or just a summary. The default was to provide the full text, and I have left it that way.
My overall conclusion, which I will discuss below, is that it is preferable to provide a full feed. I’ll note that others have reached the same conclusion, as for example here: Read More…
A while ago, I posted a review of akregator. That was about one week after I had started experimenting with it. By now, I have been using it steadily for a while, so I thought it might be useful for me to describe how I use it.
Feeds that I follow
I am primarily using akregator to follow blog posts. I follow a few non-blog sites, such as distrowatch and the opensuse security announcements. I do not follow normal news sites, as I prefer to listen to news reports on the radio (mostly NPR), and to browse a few online news site and pick out reports of particular interest.