Some recent examples:
- Yesterday, my wife called me on my cell phone. I never received the call. So she left voice mail. I didn’t receive that, either. Fortunately, we still have a land line, and she was able to get me there. As usual, I turned off the cell phone overnight. When I turned it on this morning, the voice mail was waiting for me. My best guess is that the cell network somehow lost a database entry, so lost track of my phone. Read More…
I did not have to change much to try out konqueror. I have been using it, in association with “akregator”, for reading blogs.
The good news about konqueror in opensuse 13.1 (and KDE 4.11.3), is that it is a lot more reliable than what I experienced with 12.3. I can use konqueror for several days without it crashing. Previously, with 12.3, it would often crash several times per day.
I have konqueror set to load plugins (such as the flash plugin) on request. That works pretty well. When there is a flash video, there is a little button “load plugin” that I must click before it loads. This is very similar to using the “flashblock” extension with firefox. And I do use that extension. Otherwise some of the flash in advertisements would be annoying.
It is now a little more than a week since 13.1 was released. There are things that one only notices with sustained use. So, here, I’ll mention some of what I have been noticing since switching my main desktop over to 13.1.
This one is really good news. Konqueror has been running continuously for over three days, with nary a problem. Previously, it was likely to crash after 12 hours or less, and sometimes it would crash when minimized. It looks as if a long standing bug has finally been fixed.
Normally, I close and reopen the browser once per day, as a way of deleting session cookies (and thus reducing tracking). But I’ve kept it open to see how long it lasts. I will close it shortly after posting this.
I have mentioned akregator, konqueror and rekonq in earlier posts. This will be a brief update.
Two things that I criticized about akregator, were that it crashed too often and that it lost count of the number of unread items.
On the count issue, things are better. While it still loses count from time to time, it is happening less often with version 4.10.5 (part of KDE 4.10.5). Previously it was likely to lose count an average of at least once per day. Right now, I notice that I have been running akregator continuously for 3 days with no loss of count and no crashing.
A few days ago, KDE was updated to version 4.10.2 on opensuse 12.3. And yesterday, Tumbleweed (which I have on one computer) updated Gnome to version 3.8. So here are a few notes on those desktop environments.
I’ll start with KDE. This is the desktop that I mainly use.
Not much has changed. With a few minor exceptions, everything seems to be as before (when I was running 4.10.00).
I have been using Beta1 for around three days now, and I have been trying to do as much of my computing as possible on a 12.3 Beta1 test system. Overall, I am very happy with this beta release. I have installed on three different machines, and it is looking good on all of them. This is intended to complement my earlier post on beta1.
A quick overview
I installed KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE. I have not yet logged into LXDE, but I have experimented a little with Gnome and XFCE, and I have spent a lot of time with KDE. Read More…
If you are using KDE, then you might have heard of activities. And, possibly, you have been avoiding them. That, at least, describes my situation until recently. Well, it almost describes my situation.
Some personal history
I started using KDE4 soon after I had installed opensuse 11.3, when I sensed that Gnome was heading in an unwelcome direction. As best I recall, at that time KDE was at version 4.4.4. And I started using it without paying attention to activities. I had configured my session to have 4 desktops, which I could switch between. And I found out, probably from a forum thread, that in order to have different backgrounds on each of the desktops, I would need to use activities.
An update on konqueror
Two months ago I reviewed konqueror, and I was one unhappy user.
My biggest gripe with konqueror, is that it crashes too often. I rarely have crashes with the other browsers that I listed. I am not sure what causes the crashes. On several occasions, I watched a youtube video. And then, when I closed the tab that had the video, konqueror crashed. This has never happened with the other browsers.
Yesterday I ran online updates (opensuse 12.2). One of the patches was to kdelibs4. A comment indicated that it fixed akregator crashes. It turns out that it also seems to have fixed konqueror crashes.
A while ago, I posted a review of akregator. That was about one week after I had started experimenting with it. By now, I have been using it steadily for a while, so I thought it might be useful for me to describe how I use it.
Feeds that I follow
I am primarily using akregator to follow blog posts. I follow a few non-blog sites, such as distrowatch and the opensuse security announcements. I do not follow normal news sites, as I prefer to listen to news reports on the radio (mostly NPR), and to browse a few online news site and pick out reports of particular interest.