My Tumbleweed install for April 2016

I’ve been doing an install each month, mostly to test for problems with the installer.  For this month, I download snapshot 20160412.  There have been more snapshots since then, but this was the one that I installed yesterday.

The live rescue CD

I also downloaded the live rescue CD at the same time.  I must have started the download too soon after publication.  This was the slowest download that I have done.  Normally, the iso for a rescue CD downloads in a few minutes.  For this download, “aria2c” was giving me an estimated download time of around 58 hours and worse.  The download site was obviously busy and no mirrors were yet available.

The slow download continued for a while.  Then it gave me an error indicating that the download had failed.

I immediately restarted the download.  That downloaded a new copy of the “meta4” file.  It is supposed to continue where the previous download had left off.  As far as I know, that did happen, though it was hard to tell.  The download now went much faster.  The newer version of the “meta4” file now contained some mirrors, which is probably the reason for the speedup.

After successfully downloading the rescue image, and verifying its accuracy (with the PGP signed sha256 sum), I proceeded to download the DVD installer.  And that also went reasonably fast.

Regrettably, the live rescue CD image, as written to a USB, failed to boot.  I tried this on two separate computers.  On the first it hung for a while, probably at the point where it was creating the hybrid partition (for persistent storage).  Then it rebooted.  Checking the USB showed that a hybrid partition had been created.  On the second computer, it also hung at around the same point.  I was impatient and powered it off after a while.  It did not look as if it was going to reboot.

There seems to be a problem with the rescue image.  I did not investigate — it’s hard to investigate when it hangs like that.

Installing

Things went more smoothly with the DVD installer.  I again wrote this to a USB drive.  The installer booted up without a problem.

I did find some minor glitches with the timezone setting.  I had already mentioned these in my install for last month.  I have added some details to the bug report (for bug 971854).

Apart from the timezone issues, the install went smoothly.  I was installing to the internal hard drive of an older computer.  This computer has Nvidia graphics, but I decided to stay with the nouveau driver.

On reboot, I initially logged into Icewm to tweak the install.  I then logged into Plasma 5.  When it looked as if the startup was well under way, I hit the keys ALT-SHIFT-F12 to turn off desktop effects.  It worked better after that.  I already know from previous experience, that Plasma 5 desktop effects cause problems with nouveau.

I then switched the desktop effects to use XRender, and those work pretty well.  The computer seems to be running well on Tumbleweed.  I have since updated it to snapshot 20160416.  And I notice that 20160417 is now out, but I’ll wait until tomorrow for that update.

For the most part, Tumbleweed installs seem to be doing well.  My install was to a system using legacy boot.  I’ll try another UEFI install sometime in the next few months.

Advertisements

Tags:

About Neil Rickert

Mathematician and computer scientist who dabbles in cognitive science.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: