Argon and Krypton

A recent announcement from openSUSE listed new live media (iso files) for Argon and Krypton.  Argon is based on Leap 42.1, while Krypton is based on Tumbleweed.

The openSUSE team maintains development repositories, in addition to the standard repos for the distributions.  The development repos are where they build new or updated versions of the software for testing prior to adding that software to the standard repos.  Both Argon and Krypton include some of these development repos.

The live media should be considered unstable releases.  They are mainly for testing and for taking a look at what might be available in future.

Downloading

I downloaded both (for Krypton, this was the 64-bit version).  The files that I downloaded have a date of Feb 21.  The download site now has newer isos with a date of Feb 25th.  The newer iso fix some of the relatively minor problems in the earlier versions.

Booting live Krypton

I wrote the live isos to a USB flash drive, using “dd_rescue”.  I used two different 4G flash drives, so that I could try either at my leisure.

I first tried Krypton.  It booted up without a problem on my UEFI box (with secure-boot enabled).  However, when running KDE (Plasma 5),  there were a number of video glitches.  At one stage, there were around 8 mouse pointers on the screen.  This was possibly due to some missing software, and is probably fixed in the newer isos currently available.

Apart from those glitches, everything looked okay.

Booting live Argon

I then tried Argon.  The system went into a solid freeze as the desktop was coming up.

I rebooted.  But, this time, I used “kiwi_hybridpersistent=false” on the  kernel command line.  This time it booted normally, though there were complaints about running out of disk space.

So I shutdown, and took the live USB to another computer where I reformatted partition 3 (the hybrid partition) from “btrfs” to “ext4”.  I used Yast partitioner for that, since it preserves labels.

After that change, the Argon drive booted fine with no glitches and no warnings about disk space shortage.

The freeze problem is likely fixed with the updated iso files.

I did notice some typos in the URLs for the repos.  Those, too, are probably fixed in the latest isos at the download site.

Installing

I then decided to install Krypton.  So I booted the live USB.  The usual “Folder View” widget was missing, although the installer was there in the Desktop folder.  So I opened “Dolphin” file manager, and browsed to the Desktop folder.  There, I could click on the installer to start installation.

This was a pretty standard install.  Nothing untoward happened.

After install, I booted into the new system without any problems.

I did notice that the newly created user had UID of 1001 rather than 1000, probably because the live user had a UID of 1000.  The installed system did not have the live user, so there should not be conflict issue.

I wanted the first user to have UID of 1000 for consistency with my other systems.  So I logged out of the desktop.  Then I used CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a command line, and logged in as root.  There, I used “vipw” to change the UID of the initial user (user “support”) to 1000.  And then:

# cd /home
# chown -R support support

After that change, I logged out at the command line, and used CTRL-ALT-F7 to return to the GUI.  I logged in again, to make sure that I hadn’t broken anything.

I should note here, that my initial login was to “Icewm” so as to avoid possible problems with video glitches.

I then proceeded to run updates (with “zypper dup”).  And I also added the user account where I normally login (user=rickert).

I then logged into KDE in the updated system.  And all was fine.  There were no video glitches.  The update, together with recommended software that was pulled in, fixed that problem.

Note that my plans are to use the installed system to see what to expect in the future in Tumbleweed.  This won’t be a system that I heavily use.

I did notice that it came with “konqueror5”, so I plan to try that out.  On a first try, it failed to pickup my bookmarks from the older konqueror settings.

Further reading

There’s a forum thread about these new live media:

and there’s a mailing list thread, on the factory mailing list, starting at:

 

Advertisements

Tags:

About Neil Rickert

Mathematician and computer scientist who dabbles in cognitive science.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: