Opensuse Leap 42.1 Milestone 1 is available
I saw the announcement this morning
so naturally, I began my download of the iso. Currently there are only a DVD installer and a NET installer available. This might change for later milestones. Note, also, that this is 64-bit only. There is no 32-bit version, and that probably won’t change.
Downloading and installing
I used “aria2c” to download the DVD installer iso, which came in at around 3G in size. The download went smoothly enough. I then copied that to a usb raw device with “dd_rescue”.
Next, I booted the USB. This was on a UEFI box, with secure-boot enabled. It booted into the installer without difficulty.
The installer itself looked familiar. It is similar to what I have been using for recent installs. For partitioning, I selected “create partitioning” followed by “custom partitioning”. There, I specified the partitions that I wanted to use.
After the partioning, I checked the boot settings. They looked fine. Secure-boot was to be enabled. I changed the boot menu timeout, but otherwise went with the defaults.
Next to software selection. Again, this looked familiar. However, it was a bit lean. There were less choices than for a typical opensuse install. The announcement did mention that, and indicated that more software will be included by the time of the final release.
Both KDE (Plasma 5) and Gnome are available for desktops. I chose to install both. The installation default is for KDE. There is no XFCE available at present, but LXDE is there. I did not install LXDE.
The install itself seemed to go well.
It failed to boot.
I did get the appropriate boot menu. And it obviously got past there to loading the kernel. But then it prompted me for an encryption key, but apparently could not read the keyboard. So I had to force a power-off at that point.
For installing, I had used a plain partition for root. But I had used swap and home (mounted as “/xhome”) from an existing encrypted LVM. And it apparently could not deal with that.
I was able to get around that. I commented out the “fstab” and “crypttab” lines related to the encrypted LVM, then rebuilt the “initrd”. After that, I could boot. And I could then manually decrypt the LVM and mount swap and “/xhome”.
I logged into Plasma 5, which thus far looks similar to what I am seeing in Tumbleweed. I tried to login to Gnome, but that also fails. That’s probably because of a known bug, that “sddm” fails to start Gnome. I then tried installing “lightdm” to use in place of “sddm”, but “lightdm” is not yet available for Leap. So I installed “kdm”, and “gdm” is already installed.
So I’m off to report a bug (the encryption problem). I’ll do some more testing later.