OpenSUSE 13.2 RC1
RC1 (release candidate 1) was announced two days ago. And I guess I’m a bit slow posting that.
I downloaded and installed. I have now completed three installs:
- on a desktop system, with a clean install using the 64-bit DVD installer;
- on a laptop system, a clean install using the 64-bit live KDE installer;
- on an older laptop, a clean install using the 32-bit DVD installer.
All of the installs went well. By “clean install” here, I mean that I did not do an upgrade. I did install into existing partitions. For the second install, I kept “/home” as used with Beta1. For the other installs, I mounted my 13.1 home file system as “/xhome”, so that “/home” was part of the root file system, but I could add symlinks back to existing files. That allows new desktop settings files without interfering with my 13.1 systems.
For all of those installs, I used “ext4” for the root file system. For the second of the above installs, everything was installed inside an encrypted LVM, with the exception of a small (500M) “/boot” partition. At present, I am avoiding “btrfs” file systems. While “btrfs” might be the file system of the future, in my opinion we do not yet have the tools to make full use of its capabilities.
Installing went very smoothly in all three cases. The installs using the DVD installer were noticeably faster than for previous opensuse releases. According to reports, this is because the installer now manages to avoid multiple rebuilds of the “initrd” (once should be enough).
For the first install, I had an ethernet connection. The installer was able to use that, and did not present me with a network setup screen. Once installation was complete, I used Yast to look at the network settings and change the hostname to the one I preferred for that desktop system.
For the third install, I had only a WiFi connection. The installer did present a network setup screen. I was able to successfully configure the WiFi connection. While still in the network setup screen, I configured the hostname for the system. And that hostname was remembered for use in the running system after the final install. Unlike previous tests, the WiFi configuration and setup worked well, and the connection was used during the installation. I could have used it to add remote repos to use for the install.
For the second install, using live media, I configured a WiFi network connection (with NetworkManager) before I started the installer. I then went into NetworkManager settings, and changed that connection so that it could be shared by all users. This used to be called “system connection” but that name is not used now. Since root has an empty password when running the live KDE system, I was not prompted for a root password.
Since the install from a live system is mostly a matter of copying the running system to disk, the result was that WiFi was already configured on the installed system. The installer has simply copied the network setup information. Since I was sharing the connection with all users, the connection information was in system files rather than in the private files of the live user. So, on reboot, WiFi was already working.
The earlier problems with live install now seem to have been resolved.
I have seen few problems reported on the forum. Most people have been very happy with 13.2 RC1. Of the few problems that I have seen reported, most were related to “btrfs”, typically because grub2 does not yet fully support that file system. However it supports well enough that it mostly works.
I am aware of one ongoing problem. The NET installer does not work with WiFi. There is an outstanding bug report for this (bug 899895). If you need to use the NET installer for RC1, then try connecting an ethernet cable before you start. I’m hoping this will be fixed in time for the final release of 13.2
Mostly, things are looking good for 13.2. The work on improving openQA testing, and the use of factory as a rolling release, mean that this may be the best tested of all opensuse releases.