More on opensuse 13.2M0

My initial report on milestone 0 was based on running from live KDE media.  I have since installed (twice), so I am able to provide a little more information.

My first install was from the live KDE image (on a USB).  That did not go well, and left me with a broken system.  Other folk appear to have had a similar experience.  So I advise against trying that.

My second install used the 64bit DVD image (again, on a USB).  I installed on a UEFI box, though that is probably not very relevant.  While there were some problems, this install gave me a working system.  The problems that I encountered could be resolved.  Milestone 0 is early in the development cycle, so it was expected that there would be problems.  That’s why these early versions are released for testing and uncovering problem.

The install

The first thing that I noticed in the install, is the default to using “btrfs” for the root file system.  In my first install (from live KDE), the partitioner proposed partitioning that included “btrfs”.  I had actually created the partitions I wanted before starting the install, so I went to expert mode to select my chosen partitioning.  It still proposed “btrfs” for the root file system.  I changed that to “ext4” for my install.  I had only allocated 20G for the root partition, and that’s a bit tight with “btrfs” due to the space it takes up with periodic snapshots.

For my second install, using the DVD image, I chose to import partitioning.  Although my imported partitioning was for “ext4”, it again proposed to format the root file system with “btrfs”.  I again switched that back to “ext4”.  So, if installing, you might want to pay attention to the file system used.

Another thing I noticed, is that it wanted to mount partitions using UUID rather than the device-id.  I don’t have a problem with this, but it is a change from prior practice.  If you go the the “edit partitioning” option, then you can change this for each file system.  Perhaps there’s also a global option, though I did not look for that.

In past installs with the DVD image, there was a box for “automatic configuration.”  This was pre-checked.  It has been my recent habit to uncheck that, so that I can set the hostname during the configuration stage.  With 13.2M0, that “automatic configuration” choice is not there.  However, later, when you get to the installation summary page, there is a new section where you can do configuration for some of the same items.  There did not appear to be an option to set the hostname, so I allowed the defaults for that section.

After the first reboot, there was no final stage of installation and configuration.  Apparently, that has all been moved to the first stage, prior to the boot.  And that explains why the “automatic configuration” option was gone, for that option had to do with the final stages after the first boot.

This change also seems to suggest what went wrong with my first install from the live KDE media.  The live install still depends on that final stage that follows the first boot.  However, that final stage no longer exists, so that left the install incomplete.  I presume that will be fixed by the time of Milestone 1.


I ran into two major problems, which I reported as bugs.  Both seem to be fixed, though I won’t know that for sure until I test milestone 1.

My first problem showed up when I attempted to login, after the first boot.  It did not like my password.  During install, I had told the installer to import three users from the prior system.  It imported them.  But it apparently did something strange with the passwords.  So, for all three imported users, it acted as if I had given the wrong password when I attempted to login.

Fortunately, the root password did work.  I used CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a command line session, logged in as root, and used the “passwd” command to change the password of one of my three users.  Then back to the graphic screen with CTRL-ALT-F7, where I was now able to login as that user.  I later put the correct encrypted passwords (from a backup) into “/etc/shadow” for all three users.  I was then able to login properly for all of them.

My second problem was that there was no “/etc/resolv.conf”, so that hostnames were not being resolved.  I worked around this by hastily constructing one with a text editor.  According to the bug discussion, this turned out to be a bad initial setting for “NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY” in “/etc/sysconfig/network/config”.  After correcting that, I am now getting DNS server information via DHCP.

The running system

Apart from the problems mentioned, 13.2M0 seems to be running pretty well, though I have not extensively tested the software.  I’ll wait for a later milestone release for that.  KDE comes in at release 4.12.2.  And Gnome is still at 3.10.2 (the same as in opensuse 13.1).

Overall, the M0 release is in reasonable shape for this stage in the development cycle.  We still do not have a tentative schedule for M1 and later milestones.


Tags: ,

About Neil Rickert

Retired mathematician and computer scientist who dabbles in cognitive science.

4 responses to “More on opensuse 13.2M0”

  1. Mich says :

    Out of curiosity, is OTR plugin available for Kopete there?


  2. Therond says :

    I would recommend to use Pidgin with OTR because the development of Kopete stopped several years ago. The designated successor of Kopete is KDE Telepathy which unfortunately doesn’t support OTR.

    Thanks Neil for this great blog. It’s always a pleasure to read your posts.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: