Windows 8.1 – sigh!
Today, I tried “upgrading” my Win 8 box to Win 8.1. It did not go well.
First a little background. I was looking for a replacement linux box. It turned out that I could get a better price for a box with Win 8 preinstalled, than for a box without Windows (or with linux). So I went with Win 8.
I could have deleted Win 8, but decided to keep it, to gain experience with dual booting Win 8 and linux in a UEFI box. I have not had any actual use for the Win 8 system.
So a few days ago, Win 8.1 became available. All I had to do was click on the Windows store app, and proceed with the install.
Or so I thought.
Today was the day. I booted up a secondary computer, so I could do something useful while it was churning away. Then I clicked on the Windows store app, agreed to a license, and proceeded.
It took around 45 minutes to download. I did not write down the size, but I seem to recall that it was around a 3.8G download. If you try it, your download time might be different depending on network and connection speeds.
It then began the install. After a little while, it asked me to reboot. Then it continued with the install, rebooting (without asking) another 3-4 times. The install took around 30 minutes.
Next was the setup stage. And that was where things went wrong. It went through a couple of screens, then asked me to login. I did.
Then it demanded a Microsoft account, and told me that I would have to login with a Microsoft account in future. It did provide an option for creating a Microsoft account.
That was where I balked. I have no interest in having a Microsoft account. I tried to escape from that screen. There was no way out that I managed to find. I could not even reboot. It ignored CTRL-ALT-DEL.
That was where I decided to power off. I wanted to get back to using opensuse and accessing my data. This had taken long enough. So I powered off, waited a few seconds, and powered on again.
Fortunately, I was able to find my way to a grub menu, even though the install had change the booting priority to favor Windows. And with that grub menu, I booted in opensuse 12.3.
After a few hours of useful work on opensuse, I decided to try booting Windows 8.1 again, to see if I could find a way around the problem.
It never gave me a chance. It immediately started restoring the prior Windows 8.
So much for that. Maybe I will try again some time. Or maybe not. I am not in a hurry to decide.
Before the backing out, I did look at the disk. So here is the partitioning before the Win 8.1 install.
Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name 1 2048 1026047 500.0 MiB EF00 EFI system partition 2 1026048 1107967 40.0 MiB FFFF Basic data partition 3 1107968 1370111 128.0 MiB 0C01 Microsoft reserved part 4 1370112 2394111 500.0 MiB 2700 Basic data partition 5 2394112 973574143 463.1 GiB 0700 Basic data partition 6 1926782976 1953523119 12.8 GiB 2700 Microsoft recovery part
And here is the partitioning after the 8.1 install.
Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name 1 2048 1026047 500.0 MiB EF00 EFI system partition 2 1026048 1107967 40.0 MiB FFFF Basic data partition 3 1107968 1370111 128.0 MiB 0C01 Microsoft reserved part 4 1370112 2394111 500.0 MiB 2700 Basic data partition 5 2394112 972857343 462.8 GiB 0700 Basic data partition 6 972857344 973574143 350.0 MiB 2700 7 1926782976 1953523119 12.8 GiB 2700 Microsoft recovery part
As you can see, a 350MB partition was split off from the end of the main Windows partition, and that became partition 6. The original partition 6 was now renumbered to be partition 7.
On backing out, the restore procedure did not change the partitioning back. It kept the new partitioning.
The partitioning changes had no important impact for me, because linux is on a separate hard drive. But the renumbering of partitions can possibly cause problems for those who have linux on the same drive as Windows.
I did not find other serious problems. The NVRAM entry for UEFI booting of linux was still there, though the boot order had been changed to favor Windows.