A couple of notes relative to reading and posting blogs.
Double posting – they fixed it
For several months, I have been plagued with double-posting issues. No, posts have not appeared twice. But, when I follow posts via my RSS reader (akregator), many posts have shown up there twice. This has mainly been a problem with wordpress.com hosted blogs. This has been going on for several months.
When I investigated, I could see what seemed to be happening. I’ll illustrate with an example:
Yesterday, I decided to recheck the nvidia site for drivers. And it turns out that they have a new bunch of drivers there. For my card, they now have 304.123. On my last check, around two weeks ago, the latest that they had was 304.121 which did not work with a factory install — factory is mostly a preparatory version leading toward a future 13.2.
I hastily installed a recent factory snapshot on my older Dell box (the one with the nvidia card). I actually installed on an external drive, because this was mostly for testing.
After install, I proceeded to install the nvidia driver the hard way. I then rebooted to test. And it is working very well.
As previously posted, the opensuse team have turned factory into a kind of rolling release. I have it running on a test system, and it does seem reasonably stable apart from a problem with Intel graphics on Gnome.
The way it works, is that new software is first built on OBS (the Open Build Service), and snapshots are periodically taken and tested at OpenQA. Only if the tests are satisfactory, are the newly built packages moved to the factory repo.
To keep my factory install up to date, I periodically run
My current practice is to use CTRL-ALT-F1 to open a terminal (console) session, login there as root, and run the command to update from there. I most recently did that this morning. Read More…
As anticipated Mint 17 “Qiana” was released not too long after the Ubuntu 14.04 on which it is based. I waited a little longer, because I wanted to try the KDE version. When I last tried Mint, it was the Mate version. But that was a while ago. I primarily use KDE, so that seemed to be the appropriate version for me to test.
The download was of a live DVD image, which contained the installer. Downloading was simple enough. I then checked with the MD5 and SHA256 hashes. I could not find a gpg signature to check.
As preparation for booting, I copied the image to a USB. In my case, I used the command
dd_rescue linuxmint-17-kde-dvd-64bit.iso /dev/sdd
from my opensuse system.
Since getting IPv6 access, I’ve spent a little time looking into IPv6 addresses. So I thought I would share some of that on this blog.
An IPv6 address is 128 bits in length. So there won’t be a shortage anytime soon.
An address can be thought of as having three parts. There’s a prefix, typically assigned by the ISP. Then there’s a portion that can be used on a campus WAN, to distinguish different local subnets. And then there’s the local part which identifies individual computers on the LAN. The local part is often the last 64 bits of the IPv6 address.
In my case, my ISP has assigned a 60 bit prefix. My router has assigned the next 4 bits, which presumably would allow up to 16 subnets. And the last 64 bits are for the LAN portion, and are to be assigned to individual computers on the LAN. Read More…
Browsing with konqueror or rekonq, I notice that there are three kinds of web sites:
- those that tell me I am running an old outdated version of Safari, and I should upgrade;
- those that tell me I am running an old outdated version of firefox, and I should upgrade;
- those that just allow me to browse without any special warning.
Many of the readers of this may already have IPv6. My ISP, AT&T, has been a bit slow. Two years ago, they said we would have IPv6 by the end of June. They did not make that date.
I’m using their U-verse service, with a 2Wire 3800HGV-B gateway router. On May 20, there was a discussion thread at dslreports, about a new firmware release. Someone reported that this new firmware provided IPv6 support. Checking my router, I was still on the older firmware. However, about 1 week later, I noticed that my firmware had been updated.
I went to the site to check IPv6 support for U-verse, and it said the router was now capable. I clicked the link to have it configured. And, shortly thereafter, my router was reporting IPv6.
My home setup had included a secondary router. This was IPv6 capable, but I was not sure how well the double router would handle IPv6. So, the next morning, I reorganized so that the computers are all directl connected to the 3800HGV-B.
I did change the repos for my 13.2 snapshot install to the factory repos. And then I did
# zypper dup
to update to the current factory version. That worked well.
A bad update
A few days later, the software update notifier told me that there were some updates available. So I repeated the “zypper dup”.
Unfortunately, it did not work so well this time. After the install of one of the updates, X-windows was restarted. And since I was running “zypper” within the x-windows session, the restart terminated the zypper.
As mentioned in my previous post, I downloaded the May 28th snapshot and installed. I have not yet done a lot of testing, so this will mainly be about the installing.
Finding the iso
The DVD image was not on the factory snapshot download page. So I visited the OpenQA page. That’s the page that lists the results of automated testing.
I looked for lines with “DVD” in the “type” column and “x86_64″ in the “arch” column. The most recent (at that time, May 28) showed a build “20140528”. From there, I clicked on the magnifying glass icon, and found a download link. I used that to download “openSUSE-FTT-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20140528-Media.iso”. I then wrote that to a USB to use for installing. I used the “dd_rescue” command to write it to the USB.